Sunday, March 4, 2012

My kind of Sunday peace...

What a tranquil day.  After being up till early morning thanks to a loud new dementia-afflicted neighbor in my hall, I got to spend the morning catching up on sleep while holding hands with my wonderful husband.  In the afternoon I had a pleasant visit with good friends, then got up in my power chair and headed outside.  The sky was blue and studded with fluffy wet-looking clouds scurrying toward some distant rain engagement.  The wind that drove them sent the light carpet of dead leaves around me swirling off to every corner of the quiet nursing home property, and for a half hour of child-like joy I chased the leaves with a flurry of glistening gems from my delightful little plastic bubble wand.  

I stayed out as long as possible, until the goosebumps spread from my arms to every part of me that still feels enough to get them, until I almost couldn't stand the chill anymore, which conveniently was right about the time my hubby arrived to help me back through the double doors and drop me off something edible to eat instead of the SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility) chow.  I asked him to bring my jacket to me soon so that next time I can stay out in the fresh air even longer.  I crave those moments of quiet, of joy, of being outdoors and feeling the wind and the sun touch my skin like the embrace of an old friend, of remembering the oneness of my little self and the wide world of nature.  Those are the moments that replenish my wild spirit, when I reconnect with my faith, renew my will to fight, and unleash my pent up frustrations in little bursts of laughter and smiles, so that I release positive energy instead of negative, so that only positive energy can return to me.  What you send out into the world comes back to you, we say.  

As a result, tonight I am relaxed, thankful, and hopefully have my compassion refilled enough to view my hollering neighbor with pity and forgiveness instead of anger.  Or at least with my mind cleared enough to stay calm and quiet while I hide the body.

I'm kidding!!!  Sheesh. You really need to relax.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! So glad you had such a relaxing time in the open air, benefiting your spirit, body, and mind. It's always special when you can share time with 'hubby' and relax and enjoy him, giving as well as receiving comfort, encouragement and love. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should leave your door open and try to blow bubbles out in to the quad area. That'll get people gigglin. I'm glad Suzanne got those so I could bring them to you.

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam, comments are moderated. Your spam-free comment will appear after I've had a chance to approve it. I won't censor negative feedback, only bogus advertisements and pleas from Nigerian princesses looking for money launderers.