Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A funny story and a bittersweet end

I'm going to confess now: I am hot.  Not in that swimsuit model kind of way, but in that menopausal woman sweating through the night kind of way.  Not that I'm old enough for menopause, that's just the first thing I think of when I feel like I'm having hot flashes...you know what, forget I mentioned menopause. I'm just always warm, okay?

Anyway, since I'm always warm I frequently have my hospital room window open, and I often don't have any bedding covering me.  I just wear my hospital gown as a nightie and sleep in the open.  One night the temperature dropped a bit and I got too chilly in the middle of the night.  I reached down sleepily around 4am and pulled my sheet up from my lap to cover my arms - the only part of me feeling the chill, since my legs don't really notice temperature much.

It wasn't until staff came in with my breakfast and wanted to get the day rolling by checking my blood sugar and giving me my morning medications that I realized I hadn't had a sheet covering me that night.  Nope, what I'd pulled up to cover my arms was the hem of my hospital gown, leaving me naked as a jaybird from the waist down.  I was in a fit of laughter for many minutes over that one, I can tell you.

Today was not a day for laughter though. Today, after carrying me patiently for months past what the law requires, my long-time employer had to let me go.  They have been generous beyond measure, and both they and I still hope that soon, as soon as possible, I will recover enough to return to working in an office environment, and they would love to have me back as much as I would love to rejoin them.  But for now, we'll have to tighten the belt a bit, and try to stay focused on getting strong, and float along as best we can until I'm back on my feet, either literally or just metaphorically.  These are scary times to be unemployed, but we have some plans in place and we'll be preserving my medical insurance as long as possible, and though I don't know exactly how yet, we will overcome this just as we have been overcoming everything else life has thrown at us lately.  Nothing can keep us down. Nothing.

5 comments:

  1. Stop flashing people! Better yet. Stop paying people to watch you flash them. And stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Dale, Pam here. Sorry to hear about the job loss. I know how much it hurts. Scott & I are right here beside you both & you know we'll do all that we can to help. Love, mom & dad.

      Delete
  2. So well written, and demonstrating such hope in the face of hard times. I'm really impressed by you, and Mr. C. I feel like we should all be comforting you, but you bring hope to all of us with your view of life. Thanks much, Mrs. C. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr C, are you suggesting people pay her to flash them? I hear that's a lucrative job.

    No, seriously, you guys are the best. So strong. I love you both. Let us know anything we can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no. You are resilient and smart besides being witty and you will indeed overcome. Rainy

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam, comments are moderated. Your spam-free comment will appear after I've had a chance to approve it. I won't censor negative feedback, only bogus advertisements and pleas from Nigerian princesses looking for money launderers.