Thursday, May 9, 2013

Guest Author: Caring For a Mesothelioma Survivor

Please welcome guest author Cameron Von St. James, who joins us today with this uplifting article about his role as a caregiver, his wife's triumph over mesothelioma, and making the most of life's challenges.

---------------------------


My Experience in Being a Caregiver Changed My Life

On November 21st of 2005, my wife Heather and I were given the shock of our lives when our doctor told us that Heather had malignant pleural mesothelioma.  She had not been feeling well for a while and we had just assumed it was because she was recovering from having our daughter, Lily just a few months earlier.  But when things did not improve, that is when we went to the doctor and were given this frightening news.  When we were told about the mesothelioma, I realized how serious this type of cancer was and I immediately adopted the role as Heather’s caregiver.

Through my experience of being a caregiver, I learned I was able to carry another person's burdens.  A caregiver must be strong, efficient, and capable, while also putting his own feelings and worries to the side.  I had a few times where everything felt like chaos and I gave into worry and just collapsed and cried.  I quickly pulled myself together because Heather had enough problems to worry about without me breaking down on her.  We were so blessed to have so many great family members and members of the community who offered wonderful support to us during the time Heather was fighting for her life.

Of the three choices for treatment given to us by our doctor, we chose to take Heather to see an experienced medical professional in Boston who worked regularly with mesothelioma patients.  When our doctor explained mesothelioma to us, I could see the terror and concern in Heather’s eyes.  I told the doctor, “Get us to Boston!”  We did not have any time to waste in getting Heather started on her rounds of treatment to defeat mesothelioma.

Several years have passed since we learned of Heather's mesothelioma diagnosis. I will never forget how difficult it was to make it through those years.  Heather is now in full remission and has remained cancer free to this day.  I owe so much to the many people who stepped up to help us out in our time of need.

If I had to give one piece of advice to other caregivers in a similar position, it would be to accept every offer of help that comes your way, and don’t be too proud or afraid to ask for it.  This will likely be the most difficult challenge you’ll ever face, so there is no reason for you to face it alone.  Use the resources available to you and do your best to stay strong.

Two years later, I was able to go back to school to study Information Technology.  My time as a caregiver gave me the strength and the courage to pursue this dream.  I graduated with honors and even gave the graduation speech.  I told my fellow graduates about all the lessons I had learned while caring for my wife.  I told them what my wife had showed me – that within each of us is an incredible strength that can allow us to accomplish unbelievable things.  I hope that by sharing our story, we can help inspire others in their own battles with cancer today. 
 ---------------------------

Thank you for sharing your story with us, Cameron.  We fervently hope that you and your family continue to thrive and inspire cancer warriors for many years to come!   

You can read more of their journey at their blogs:  Cameron and Heather

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you Cameron, the Human Condition and sheer stubbornness can put a lot of weight on our shoulders, but it takes a big leap to say, 'Yes, I accept your offer of assistance.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this story of love and promise. Cameron and Heather have lived through what so many are enduring, and come through it together. Theirs is the advice of experience and promise for the future. Know the truth of acceptance of assistance from many sources and in many different ways, and treasure those blessings. May God be with each of you in your struggles to overcome, and grant healing, and successes in life as well as health. DaddyMan, you are one smart dude and will take the leap. We'll be looking at more of Cameron and Heather's story and praying for their continued well-being, in all things. JKFN

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam, comments are moderated. Your spam-free comment will appear after I've had a chance to approve it. I won't censor negative feedback, only bogus advertisements and pleas from Nigerian princesses looking for money launderers.