Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fight Songs and Win Songs

Music has always affected me profoundly, touched my very soul; it can make me shiver, can make me cry, can make me stronger.  I owe a debt of gratitude to the musicians and composers who have contributed so much to my life, most especially to my recovery and continuing survival in this cancer/disability battle.

To Bear McCreary, whose "Kara Remembers" is my courage hymn, that I listen to every time I head to the hospital for another MRI, where my fear demons await:  thank you.

To John Murphy, whose adaptation of "Adagio in D Minor" for the movie Sunshine is my personal physical therapy anthem, the song that expresses every ounce of struggle and triumph in my journey from wheelchair to walking:  thank you.

To John Mock, whose "Stone Table Dance" comforts and soothes me on the way home from difficult doctor appointments:  thank you.

To AWOLNATION, whose "Sail" has become not only my rock mantra for feeling strong and capable, but has also become the favorite headbanger tune for my three children:  thank you.  (Yes, they do scream "SAIL!" in relatively good tone and yes, they do get the timing right!)

To Christina Grimmie, whose cover of "Safe and Sound" gives me chills and has become the song my five year old daughters and I most love to sing together:  thank you.

There could be hundreds more to add to this list, but none of us has that much time, and my daughters are asking me to stop writing and sing with them.  If you do have a minute though, tell me what music motivates or touches you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam, comments are moderated. Your spam-free comment will appear after I've had a chance to approve it. I won't censor negative feedback, only bogus advertisements and pleas from Nigerian princesses looking for money launderers.