Saturday, May 19, 2012

Hair today, gone tomorrow

Today the family and I will attempt to go out of the house, with my power chair, and drive to our favorite inexpensive hair salon to finally get my hair cut.  It's been growing shaggier and shaggier since I first got it cut short last fall, and now has become completely unruly and annoying.  This is a natural feature of having naturally curly hair.  It goes everywhere, such as your eyes, whenever the wind blows, or if the sun rises, or if a butterfly flaps its wings in Central Park.  Besides, it's now long enough to cover the back of my neck again, and in my new poorly-regulated-temperature body and our almost summery spring weather, this makes me perceive myself as feeling far too warm.  Actually anything above 71F feels uncomfortably warm now, and anything below about 68F starts to chill my legs and feet to a dangerous level wherein my brain thinks we're getting frostbite and stops sending them any blood, so my window of happy temperatures has become distressingly narrow.  But I digress...

My plan is to make sure I've gone potty first, so I don't have to go while I'm out, and to bring the walker with me.  If the chairs look reasonable to stand up from, I'll use the walker to switch from my power chair to the salon chair.  If they don't look like I can stand back up again from them, we will have a big trash bag to cover the back of my power chair and try to keep as much hair off it as possible.  If everything goes well at the salon, we might also go to our friendly neighborhood Super Giant Store to do a little grocery shopping before coming home. 

It has been around five months, maybe even six or seven, since I was able to go grocery shopping with my family.  In the happy-go-lucky time before I had cancer.  Back then, whenever I went to the store with them, I used my walker and the store's motorized cart.  This time, I'll be in my own, more comfortable power chair that steers much better and in smaller spaces than the store cart.  I can hardly wait!  I can pick what I want right off the shelf without poor hubby having to read the selections aloud to me over the phone WOOHOO!

And don't worry, if any of today's plans prove too exhausting to attempt on account of how extremely sore I am from this week's therapy work-outs, we will prudently split them up and do some today, some tomorrow, to avoid potentially fall-inducing, leg-buckling fatigue.  I'm excited, but not stupid!

1 comment:

  1. No fear! :) Stupid would be the last adjective one would use of you!! Although we sometimes do caution you about over-taxing yourself, never is it that we think you're stupid....only that we love you so much and worry that your goals may at times come above your caution. You have set our minds at ease...so, we are just excited for you and not going to worry! :) Wishing you a spendiferous day's outing with your family!! love you whole bunches!!!!

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam, comments are moderated. Your spam-free comment will appear after I've had a chance to approve it. I won't censor negative feedback, only bogus advertisements and pleas from Nigerian princesses looking for money launderers.