Wednesday, April 25, 2012

So long, foley, and thanks for all the trouble

Tomorrow I'm scheduled to finally, at last, after four long months, get rid of my foley catheter.  I've never been so excited by the prospect of peeing in a toilet before.  To be free from the tether, the constant worry about getting the catheter tube pulled on or the threat of urinary tract infection... it's a huge relief.  The catheter and its tubing make everything harder from dressing in bed to moving around during therapy, so I've been craving this big new freedom for a while.  

It's also a big new set of complications, like making sure I have the energy to transfer from my bed to the commode as many times a day as it takes to keep my bladder happy, allowing extra time whenever I'm preparing to leave the house to make sure I can go to the commode before I go out, as I won't often be able to make use of any restrooms while I'm away from home due to my special needs, and the possibility that sometimes I won't be able to hold it until I make it back home, ensuring that adult diapers will continue to be a part of my life for the foreseeable future.  But all those issues will be worth it to have the foley gone.  Hooray for the next step toward normalcy!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! This is a big step and though has its drawbacks, is still another step in independence! Really happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam, comments are moderated. Your spam-free comment will appear after I've had a chance to approve it. I won't censor negative feedback, only bogus advertisements and pleas from Nigerian princesses looking for money launderers.