Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Bridges

Today, my husband and I piled into the car in the freezing early morning to drive downtown and see my neurosurgeon.  I had been told to check in at 7:45am on the first floor of his building for a CT scan, and since we're not allowed to take on any endeavor without complications, we promptly found out we hadn't been told I was scheduled in a different building.  Back to the car we went, around the corner, and thankfully still got to our destination in time to get a nice quick and easy scan done.  

Back to the car again, drive back to the first building, and head up to the 5th floor to see the man with the magic fingers.  I was eagerly anticipating showing off my walking with canes abilities, and he didn't disappoint by being suitably impressed with my progress.  Then it was his turn to give good news:  my CT scans showed a nice, solid bone bridge has grown from the posterior of T2 to T4, which means the fusion surgery in November 2011 has done what we set out to do.  Bone growth has permanently joined my thoracic vertebrae in a rigid line that will help prevent future spinal cord compression that could have been caused by the lack of support where shattered T3 used to be.

He decided that I've done so well, I don't need to schedule any more follow-up appointments with him.  In his words, "I'm always happy to see, but I don't think you need to drag yourself down here anymore."  We can call him anytime something new comes up, but we won't have to juggle any more pre-set appointments with him.  We've graduated from Neurosurgery post-operative care!

To celebrate this event, we took ourselves out to a lunch/movie date to see The Hobbit.  And still made it home in time to welcome our son home from his last day of school before winter vacation.  Good thing there's already no school tomorrow, since the forecast calls for snow tonight.

2 comments:

  1. So glad the surgery worked!Great news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing news!!! Could not ask for better results, and thrilled that you heard the news before Christmas! What joy for you, and all of us loving you!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam, comments are moderated. Your spam-free comment will appear after I've had a chance to approve it. I won't censor negative feedback, only bogus advertisements and pleas from Nigerian princesses looking for money launderers.